West Greenland Explorer
11 Days/10 Nights from AUD $9,700 per person (twin share)*
18th May to 28th May 2020
Boasting the Ilulissat Icefjord, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, West Greenland offers an adventure-filled experience that includes thrilling Zodiac cruises along gleaming ice-filled fjords, unbeatable photographic opportunities, and meeting friendly Inuit locals living in some of the world’s most remote and harshest environments. Affectionately known as the ice-factory of the north, the icebergs that are created from calving glaciers are some of the largest on the planet. On this unforgettable voyage at one of the world’s most remote regions, you will discover Greenland’s capital, Nuuk, an Arctic metropolis with a small-town feel, where you can marvel at the mummies in the National Museum or learn about Inuit culture at the Nuuk Art Museum. Hiking trails reveal stunning vistas of the icebergs as they approach the bay. Kayakers will glide across gleaming waters teeming with whales, while being surrounded by towering fjords.
This West Greenland Explorer (WGE001G) voyage departs in May when you can experience nearly 24 hours of daylight and witness the great melt well underway with rivers gushing, sea ice breaking up, and glaciers calving from the warmer weather. Nature is abuzz with activity with whales feeding on plentiful krill so it's a perfect time for whale watching and birdwatching with parents feeding their young. It is also a great time for Zodiac cruising and photographing icescapes as the landscape is at its most pristine white and you can see giant icebergs floating in fjords filled with sea ice starting to break up. As the snow starts to melt from the ground, the undergrowth starts to appear revealing green mosses and the occasional flowers starting to bloom.
Number of passengers: 120 passengers (including 20 kayakers)
- Visit Ilulissat Icefjord, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home of one of the most actively calving glaciers in the world. Weather permitting, enjoy Zodiac cruising, perhaps kayaking, or experience the glacier from a helicopter (additional cost)
- The word ‘kayak’ is said to originate from Greenland, so jump in and paddle across crystal-clear waters and get even closer to nature (additional cost)
- Discover the cultural attractions in Nuuk, one of the world’s northernmost and remote cosmopolitan capital cities
- Zodiac cruising offers wonderful opportunities for whale watching and up to 15 species visit Greenland, with the Greenland right whale often seen in May
In true expedition style we encourage exploration and adventure, offering flexibility in challenging environments in a way that puts you among the action to see and do as much as possible. This itinerary is only a guide and subject to change due to ice and weather conditions.
- Arrival airport transfer to group hotel on day 1
- One night’s hotel accommodation in Nuuk on day 1
- Half day tour in Nuuk on day 2 prior to embarking Greg Mortimer
- Group transfer from ship to airport in Nuuk on Day 11
- On-board accommodation during voyage including daily cabin service
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during voyage
- Beer, house wine and soft drinks with dinner
- All shore excursions and Zodiac cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from expedition team
- Access to our onboard doctor and basic medical services
- A 3-in-1 waterproof polar expedition jacket
- Complimentary use of muck boots during the voyage
- Comprehensive pre-departure information
- A printed photo book produced with photos from your voyage
- Port surcharges, permits, and landing fees
Note: A $15 USD per person per day gratuity for the crew is automatically added to your onboard account. It is at your discretion if you would like to remove the tip (or increase/decrease the amount) when you settle your bill. It is not necessary to tip the expedition team members.
- International or domestic flights, unless specified
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Passport, visa, reciprocity fees and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels and meals not included in itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the itinerary
- Optional activity surcharges
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (outside of dinner service), laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, Wi-Fi, email or phone charges
Sea Kayaking – AUD $1,200 per person
Exploration by sea kayak is an ideal way to surround yourself in the sights and sounds of Iceland - padding along pristine and quiet fjords and to observe wildlife in an unobtrusive manner. Paddlers will have the option to kayak as often as possible during the voyage (weather conditions permitting), or to join fellow expeditioners on shore landings. Some kayak excursions may be long in duration and on choppy water, so a reasonable level of kayaking experience is required to participate in this activity.
Photography - (free)
All voyages offer fantastic opportunities for photography and videography and on selected voyages an expert photographer will offer informal lectures filled with tips to improve your skills. Whether you’re a beginner or advanced amateur, you’ll certainly pick up some useful hints in the presentations.
Terms & Conditions
Please read our terms and conditions carefully to ensure you understand what is included in the trip cost as well as any fees that may be applicable in case you are required to cancel your trip. Although every effort will be made to adhere to the itinerary provided, please note that due to the unpredictable nature of expedition travel, changes beyond our control may occur and Aurora Expeditions reserves the right to alter the itinerary or not operate shore excursions with little or no notice when necessary.
Exclusive Bonus Offer (from Southside World Travel)
- Extra special discount if booked before 30th June 2019*
- 10% discount on travel insurance (nib, Suresave, CHI or Covermore)
Contact us now for full itinerary, availability and up to date pricing.
When planning your next holiday come in-store (16 Gymea Bay Road, Gymea, NSW, 2227), call (02) 9525 2211 or email us and let Southside World Travel create the best travel experience for you.